Thursday, January 11, 2007

diverse receipts

I understand the local obsession with Salmon in one culinary form or other, after all the Canadian pacific coast economy was founded on it and still depends on it. So the smoked salmon pizza, or even smoked salmon jerky are perfectly understandable. It seems to be very hard to get a 'normal' pizza, with just mushrooms, or a bit of peperoni for example.

The restaurant in my hotel offers a spicy lamb merguez sausage and asparagus pizza, which, at the time seemed to be the closest to what I wanted. Since then I have encountered a chipotle ragu and smoked mozzarella pizza amongst others more dubious and wrong.

Tonight, however, after the opening show (a six hour 'durational theatre' piece) we went downtown to the only place open after midnight and among the offerings on their menu was (I quote verbatim); chipotle-vanilla alligator: pan-fried shaved alligator sirloin, served with cajun tartar.

I found myself completely bemused; why did they need to shave the alligator? how do you shave an alligator? where did the vanilla feature? does anybody order it? what does a cajun tartar look like (I envision Yul Brynner with an accordion)? I'm afraid we may never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home