Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Greetings from the land of the moose...

Well I'm here, the flight was late and we arrived at 4.00 in the morning our time to be given a breathless and enthusiastic tour of the city by the festival organisers. Everyone here is super friendly and they don't feel the need to restrain themselves from commenting about anything.
It's a bit like having a festival organised by labrador puppies, you can't quite bring yourself to chastise or argue because they are so innocent and well-intentioned.

We are staying on Granville Island, a former derelict industrial site underneath one of the main bridges across False Creek to downtown Vancouver (apologies for the geography lesson, I shan't be asking questions later). The city fathers (and probably mothers) decided at some point to make this into a cultural quarter, thus it is thronged with jewellers, potters, glassmakers etc, etc. All very nice, and all slightly twee. There is an excellent foodmarket, with a range of international food that I haven't seen anywhere else, and as we are on an island, there are many boatyards and chandlers. There are also two breweries, one in my hotel, and one about 200 yards away, which brings me to my only gripe; my hotel bar shuts at 10.00 pm, and the other brewery tap at 8.00 pm. This is not civilised.

Oh well, I must go and do some work, it has been snowing overnight, and there's a light powdering of snow on the banks outside my window, fortunately my theatre is about 50 yards from the front door.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 10, 2007 6:32:00 pm, Blogger Buttongrrrl said...

Snow, beer and a festival. What fun : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home