Monday, December 11, 2006

Hello to Berlin

Ah well, that's the Bury St Edmunds panto over for me. I know that for most people Panto is still a potential horror, but for a designer it's pretty much all over and done with before the end of term. Aladdin was pretty funky this year, hopefully the last time that the Theatre Royal will need to use the Big Top, but many lessons were learned from last year.

All in all, it was quite civilised, the seven production days leading up to opening night were quite painless if prolonged. We had minor difficulties with our Abanazer, who developed an unhealthy obsession with hand held pyrotechnics, and after a few days internet shopping ended up so loaded with explosives that he was a potential risk to shipping. There were a number of small misfires, and a lot of dark muttering about taking toys away, but he seems to have got himself under control at last, you wouldn't want to pat him on the back though. This is definitely the first time I've heard the excuse 'I'm sorry I missed that cue, I'd run out of petrol, and had to refuel'.

Tomorrow I'm off to Berlin, to do a repeat of the show I did in July, theoretically this should be very straightforward, but, as this is a company that developes its productions through improvisation and rehearsal, we have moved on a lot since then. Oh well, I guess I'll have to improvise, the staff are superb and there are lots of them, so as long as I can remember what I'm supposed to be doing it should be ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home