Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Feed the birds, tuppence a bag...

Down at the village hall (see previous), I was whinging about the birdlife to the gamekeepers wife. The problem is that although I have an abundance of chaffinches, tits and wagtails visiting my takeaway facilities, I also have a big fat cock pheasant who has taken to greeting the dawn outside my bedroom window, not only that, but he is a kind of avian Hoover, and is getting through pounds of birdseed. Pheasants are not actually the most graceful or elegant creatures, preferring to scuttle inelegantly rather than lumber into the air, frequently they attempt to outrun a car, giving rise to the sad little feathered pancakes that decorate the roads round here. I was amused to watch one such roadrunner, legs pumping away in front of my car; in desperation it took a turn off to one side, but didn't quite get the message through to it's feet, and tripped up, rolling inelegantly into the ditch. The house pheasant (I'll call him that because I wish to avoid google unpleasantness), is really rather porky now, and rarely flies anywhere. My moans about this feathered tyrant were met with little sympathy, one of my neighbours on the forest road has been getting through 20kg of peanuts every two weeks, which puts my losses to shame. Why anybody thinks there's any sport in shooting a feathery breezeblock mystifies me, still, they do taste quite nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home