Saturday, March 03, 2012

Ducks deluxe

I've taken to feeding the birds; as I tend to waken with the sun (now that there is one), I've been increasingly aware of the clamour of the dawn chorus. I have a particularly vocal and demanding flock of chaffinches which would sit on the four foot satellite dish (don't ask), that used to block the view from my bedroom window and shout until I produced breakfast. Since I had a rat in the attic I've been very careful to keep delicious treats in jars or solid boxes, so, when I ended up with a slight surplus of oats, the solution to both problems was simple.
Regular readers will recall that I have given oats to birds before, a glut of quasi-ergotic oats seemed to give extra sense to pheasants. I now have a resident cock pheasant, currently looking very glam in his shagging suit, I can safely assure you that feeding him with in-date cereals has had no effect on his world view whatsoever.
When I was hanging out my washing today, I was rather surprised to see what appeared to be goose poo in my grass. My little patch at the back of the house is small and enclosed by wooden fencing, as a feeble attempt to exclude the bunnies. My previous experience of geese would lead me to expect that I would know all about it if they were grazing on my 'lawn', seemingly not, as I looked out tonight a trio of canada geese flew low and silently across the moon. Ah well, if they can find nourishment among the bunny beans, good luck to them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home