Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A funny thing happened on the way...

I was walking into Toulouse today, about to cross one of the bridges over the Garonne, when my eye was caught by a glint of metal on the pavement. At the same moment, someone coming the opposite way also spotted it, and stooped down to pick it up. He straightened up and showed me what appeared to be a gold ring.
So far so good, but next he surprised me by handing it to me, saying that his hands were too small. Rather at a loss, I continued on my way, stuffing the ring into my pocket. A couple of minutes later, he came charging after me, and asked if I had any money. I gave him some shrapnel, which was all I had, and he asked for more, about 5 euro was the figure he had in mind.
When I explained that this was all I had, he wandered off again. I can't think that this was a scam, or if it was, I can't quite see how it works, in the meantime I have a chunky, possibly gold ring (it has hallmarks). Can anyone explain?

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:56:00 pm, Blogger Michael Gradwell said...

Around a year ago the same thing happened to me on the Pont Alexandre III in Paris. I gave the ring back. The next day I was in the same area and the same thing happened but this time I saw the woman place the ring on the floor and then pick it up. It must be worthless trinket but the tourist is moved by the generosity of the poor local. I received a sob story that she could not cash in the ring because of her status as an immigrant. If your change wasn't worth more than the ring then I am sure they would have come back to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home