Monday, March 19, 2012

The king of vague

Last night our village hall entertainment empire had a visit from an Orcadian folk musician of some repute. I had intended to attend, but as I was scheduled to be in Sheffield and London for a few days I had given up on the idea. However, fate, in the form of failing batteries in my directors' pacemaker, intervened, and I found myself at home after all. As is my custom, I had asked if any technical support was needed, and was told that he was travelling with his Norwegian wife, who looked after all his requirements. About an hour and a half before the gig was due to kick off, I came back from town to discover my answer phone was full of messages; could I bring a microphone down to the hall? As ever, the information was minimal, and the atrocious mobile phone signal meant that it was simpler to drive eight miles to find out what the problem was. It turned out that he travelled only with a guitar, and his wife, not only that, but he was attempting to do all his travel by bus, an act of colossal optimism out here way beyond the sticks. He also invited himself to stay at the promoters house (I hope he likes dogs, poultry and children!). After a bit of rushing to and fro, I put together a small PA, and the gig was a great success. When he was asked how he wanted to be introduced, our performer said; 'just a chancer from Orkney'. Many a true word, etc...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home