Thursday, November 09, 2006

the electric carrot of Sneinton

While I've been touring about in the middle of England, I've been staying with the Nottingham correspondent, in the multi-ethnic melting pot that is Sneinton. I was concerned to see that the christmas lights were already up and working in early october, closer investigation revealed signs saying 'Happy Diwali' and also for 'Eid' (the festival marking the end of Ramadan). Presumably now that these festivals are over, a council bloke will come round to change the signs for ones celebrating another festival. 'Happy Hanukah' and 'Winter Solstice' any one?

A couple of slightly jarring notes, to my mind, firstly the Alladins lamp might be considered to be culturally insensitive, and the electric carrot just doesn't do anything for me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home