Tuesday, May 30, 2006

oh vienna...

The circus has moved on, the bucolic delights of the Volkbuhne and it's heavily subsidised bar and canteen have been replaced with the more austere Halle G in the Museum Quartier.

Today, which was supposed to be a day off, I have spent bucketting around Viennese thrift shops in a old VW van trying to find cheap wooden chairs. We brought eighteen of them over from the UK, enough to do the whole run, but they ended up all being used in Berlin. I should perhaps try to explain, at one point in the action of the piece, a man dressed as a caveman brings on a chair, which he then worships briefly, it is then snatched away by another performer dressed as a viking who saws it up with an electric jigsaw. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to try and explain.

Our designer, who is also one of the performers, has decided that he needs a suit of armour, and not a fake one. Given that he spends much of the performance running around naked, I'm not sure how much mileage this idea actually has. I've done a little research, and arrived at the conclusion, that with the aid of a couple of skilled armourers, he could be suited up in about 20 minutes, I suspect that the suit of armour will end up in the back of the truck, along with the bouncy castle.

It has been quite pleasant pottering about in Vienna, I last did a show here in 1994 at the Kunstlerhaus, and wandered down there today to refresh my memory. I have a number of pleasant memories of doing stuff here, some of which could not be recounted here. I even found the flower bed into which I leaped on discovering a tram bearing down on me, only to sink up to my knees in muddy water.

We get in tomorrow, and hopefully won't have to work too late, the theatre is very modern and well equipped, the staff are very keen and friendly (unlike the Pompidou Centre apparently*), for some reason naked brits throwing stuff around appeals to the Viennese psyche. This years Wien Festwoch posters feature either an image of Mozart rolling his eyes in disgust or one of Freud, rather classy really.

*our last tour date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home