Monday, May 22, 2006

things are going from bad to wurst

Here I am in a rather damp Berlin, sitting in my hotel room on the 31st floor overlooking Alexander Platz. The start of the tour has been uneventful, we loaded the truck on Saturday and headed for the Rotterdam ferry. We seemed to load an impossible amount of toot, from vacuum cleaners to wardrobes, sofas and site lighting. Even so, when it was all on, there was a big lacuna at the rear of the truck; I know I have plans to visit Cite Europe on the return leg, but there was space for several hundred cases of beer (I don't intend buying several hundred cases of beer, so don't ask). My quizzical eyebrow earned me the response 'Oh, that's alright, we'll put the bouncy castle on,' and so we did. As what we had already loaded looked like the aftermath of a dodgy car-boot sale, I suppose a bouncy castle is not that surprising.

'At what point in the show is this used?' I asked innocently.
'Oh it's not,' came the reply, 'we've just put it on in case we want to use it.'

It turns out that it was bought for, and cut from a previous production, and has subsequently been making non-appearances at major arts venues all over Europe ever since.

Still, if we run out of money, we can always set it up by the side of the road, and put the begging bowl out.

More exciting stories from the touring world in a day or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home