Friday, December 23, 2005

oddments

I was looking idly through the archive of the Rambert Dance Company, and checking to see who was on their list of lighting designers; I found it hugely funny to see that Britains' pre-eminent and most highly paid lighting designer was listed as David Heresy (his name is actually David Hersey for the uninitiated).

In the theatre people do seem to aquire nicknames very easily, mostly affectionate, sometimes anything but. Two recent examples would be Tiddles and Slimon, I'll leave you to guess who made himself popular. It is all too easy to get into trouble, with this sort of thing; I once upset a very temperamental italian set-designer by referring to 'the bit of the set that looks like a fried egg'. Unfortunately the description stuck, and I could see her wince each time it was used.

Some years ago there was an infamous design for a production of 'Waiting for Godot' which became universally known as 'the raspberry hedgehog', I have never been able to take that particular designer seriously since.

Oh, and my greengrocer (turkish I think) is offering 'custered' apples, I'll leave it to you to work that one out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home