Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Bonny Dundee

I have to go to Dundee next week to talk about a project, as is so commonly the case I only got the call this afternoon, and have to work out the most effective way of getting there.

We arranged our meeting for mid-afternoon, to make it possible and civilised for me to travel up on the day, so I settled down for a bit of googling to try and work out the best way of travelling up. My first thought was to take the train, I've used the line up to Edinburgh and beyond for decades, but haven't done so for a while. I gave up on the attempt to identify a train or even discover a price after about half an hour; I'm sure it is possible to do it on line, but I'm afraid I don't believe them any more.

My next thought was to get a flight to Edinburgh and train it from there, not a bad option, but not great, combining a tube journey with two train trips in each direction as well as a flight. I then remembered that as you drive into Dundee you pass an airport, and lo and behold, there are direct flights to London, to London City Airport of all places. What is the commercial connection between Dundee, home of jam and DC Comics and the city? The other places they have scheduled flights to are Amsterdam, Edinburgh and Southampton, beyond auld reekie I can see no obvious link, unless they are shipping hashish in pots of jam of course. Needless to say, the price of convenience is the price, so it's going to be the motor for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home