Sunday, December 18, 2005

Northern Lights


It's strange how a little browsing can lead you to things you never knew you needed, my Nottingham correspondant sent me a picture of an extreme, rare and beautiful weather phenomenon (see picture) called diamond dust. Caused, apparently, by light pollution reflecting off ice crystals in the lower atmosphere.

I have long wanted to see the Aurora Borealis, and my curiosity piqued by the image, I did a little googling. Out of the myriad sites dedicated to Philip Pulman, I found a site at Lancaster University, which offers both a live magnetometric chart and a free e-mail and text alert service for peak activity. Not only that, but they have a large gallery of images collected in the UK, from sites as diverse as Bodmin and Lochwinnoch. As the images are copyright, I recommend that you check them out yourself:

http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/

I've signed up, and look forward to the notion of being kept informed about atmospheric activity at regular intervals. Sadly, it would appear that very little is happening at the moment, but at least I'll know.
Down here in London, the chance of seeing much more than the brightest stars and planets is rare, orion is probably the most easily found constellation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home