Thursday, December 22, 2005

an apology?

I have had a complaint, from the AP no less, she feels that I have maligned the character of her feline; she is not a psychopath concealed within a pyjama case, she is misunderstood. Anyone who has been held in the unblinking and contemptuous gaze of her fierce golden eyes may beg to differ.

My sister, who has now had several abyssinians, has chronicled the life of her last one in great detail, amongst the concepts of feline life she recounts is the 'hating book' in which slights and insults are faithfully recorded, in order, presumably, that retribution may be calculated fairly. It seems reasonable to me to assume that this might be a breed characteristic, and thus the cat who lives upstairs, although too lazy to organise a hating book, may simply have taken the hating concept and run with it, and just hates everything that gets in her way or disagrees with her. In the warm glow of the pre-christmas shopping frenzy, and in the interest of family amity, I am prepared to admit that she doesn't hate me absolutely all of the time, she has purred at least five times in the last 13 years, and she does sometimes come when she is called.

So, from cats to mail, our mail has become increasingly random, we are five minutes from the sorting office, and our post can come any time between 7.00 in the morning and 2.30 in the afternoon. Sods Law says that the only way you can guarantee a delivery is to get in the shower. Unfortunately I don't have a doorbell, only a knocker, and there is a timed lightswitch for the outside light above the door. So many times I have had a card shoved through the door when I've been in, only to discover that the light was switched on (or off, it's usually on). I did once make a label up for the switch, but evidently used some form of mollusc pheremone to glue it to the wall,because when I got up next day there was no label any more, but several giant orange slugs hanging around looking sated and slightly guilty. Maybe santa will bring me a laminator, although I'm not sure I'd want to laminate a slug...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home