Sunday, May 05, 2013

On hearing the second cuckoo in spring.

I've started a new job, unfortunately just far enough away to be a pain to commute. Happily it's not quite like touring and I should only be away for four nights a week. Although the weather is only just beginning to turn and there aren't many leaves on the trees yet, the first migrants have been showing up. The swifts started to arrive about two weeks ago, as did a cuckoo, we still have a few confused looking geese hanging around as well.
Meanwhile, back in the farmyard, the cats are all looking close to term, at least six are pregnant. I have the cats protection crack spaying team on hold.
I was standing around yesterday, feeling the sun (interspersed with rain showers) on my back, when I heard the slightly banal tones of the cuckoo, and the bird flew directly over my head, they are strikingly uninteresting in appearance, but it was pleasing to see one anyway. The hares were out in the fields yesterday too, the farm cats keep the rabbit population pretty much under control, but I can't see any of them squaring up to a hare as an individual, and co-operation isn't one of their characteristics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home