Sunday, October 07, 2012

Edgelands

I'm on the move again, not without a certain trepidation, there is a bit of a literal tendency up here when naming a property. Consequently, my proposed move from Burnfoot to Blackhole gives me a little concern. Although I am only moving about five miles, I have gone across the boundary of two OS maps, but "oh sophonisba", what a reward; my new gaff is only an hours walk from the telephone exchange, so there is a possibility of the Internet, and, as the pub is next to the local exchange, a pint with a healthy walk attached.

For the moment I'll overlook the possibility that moving to a home called Blackhole may lead to my vanishing, enough people seem to be of the opinion that moving to Scotland is not so different.

The new gaff is on one side of a farmyard, chickens, ducks and cats wander freely, and on my first visit a little row of mottled cats were waiting on the kitchen windowsill. It's cupboard love, according to the farmers wife, who is responsible for the menagerie. I dare say it'll be odd not to be so isolated, although you would have to know that the house is there before you find it. Rather confusingly, the road appears to be blocked by a large granite barn, go the wrong way and you end up in a yard full of scrap metal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home