Sunday, August 19, 2012

Blue skies and fluffy clouds

The last couple of days of unfeasibly lovely weather herald, at least in Scotland, the end of the school holidays. I remember when I was growing up in West London, the start of the new school year always seemed to coincide with the return of the sun ((which had mostly been absent since the exams had finished).

The other less welcome feature of high pressure when I was growing up, was that in those circumstances we were on the takeoff route from Heathrow, and every couple of minutes another Jumbo would labour overhead, engines screaming in the thinner air. You did become accustomed, as you can get used to anything. I do still have moments of nostalgia when I hear someone interviewed on the radio, and the soundscape incorporates the familiar sounds if sirens, or rattling tube trains.

I was slightly reassured, when I moved to my shepherds hut, to discover that I was living under the runway approach to Aberdeen Airport, so every now and again a small to medium jet passes low overhead. However, at certain times all is quiet, and I know that the Windsors are in residence at Balmoral (about 17 miles away as the crow flies).

The only exclusion to this embargo seems to be the RAF, which continues to roar sporadically up and down the valleys, trailing black smoke. Maybe they are reassured that the realm is still being defended while they take their holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home