Monday, August 20, 2012

Nature notes #673

There are a number of shy and elusive creatures that live up here, and in true trainspotter style I am gradually ticking them off my list.

It pleases me greatly that we have red squirrels, and not the brash grey ones that have colonised most of the south.
I quite frequently see weasels and stoats going about their business, although I have yet to see a mink (which are apparently a problem), today, returning from Aboyne, I saw a Pine Marten dash across the road, as I was already going slow (escaped cow on the road), I was able to observe it quite closely; I was struck by how bouffant its tail was.

The sheep in the field behind my hut seem to be suffering from a tendency to drop dead, I was walking the other day and found a dead lamb which appeared to have crash landed (the lambs are pretty big now, I suspect the chop will not be far off). I called the farmer, and it was buried. Tonight I saw him towing away another fluffy corpse behind his landrover (I did say they were quite big!). There was no sign of a predator attack on the one I found, I do hope that this is a normal level of decease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home