Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Spain, no bull...

Travelling up from Lisbon towards France, I was struck by how identifiable the countries are, as you pass through them. Lisbon was in the middle of a Festival (to which we were making a small contribution), and one of the features was the now seemingly inevitable Cow Parade, I have now seen this about five or six times, and I'm beginning to think it might be past its sell by date. However, it is very attractive to see, and some cows work stunningly well. The least effective, in my view, was the bisected cow that stood outside the metro station on Avenida di Liberdad, evidently I wasn't the only one, because someone stole half of it (bewilderingly, the back half).

When you cross Spain, every now and again, the landscape features an enormous billboard bull, dominating the skyline, very macho. So I was very amused to see the spanish response to the cow parade, dotted along the side of the motorway between Valladolid and Burgos (I think), were examples of what I can only described as the Bull Parade. Brightly decorated, as in the female version, but unmistakeably bulls, and in little clusters of three or so, every few miles. Someone in Spain has a sense of humour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home