Wednesday, January 11, 2006

mud, mud, glorious mud


Well, for the time being, that's me done with Bury St Edmunds, I pulled the show out on monday, an unseasonably mild and sunny day that saw midges dancing under the trees and soft cold mud everywhere.

Hopefully the theatre's get-out will not take them too much longer, the tractor that shifts stuff from the tent to the road had created ruts about three feet deep by the time I left. I think the site might have been more carefully chosen; it seemed to be spectacularly badly drained. If they do the show in Nowton Park next year, I hope it won't be in the same place.

While I was spending more time in Suffolk, I became slightly aware of a local controversy; apparently Debenhams want to build a major shopping outlet on the site of the cattle market in BSE. Not surprisingly there has been a lot of opposition, rather more imaginative than in many cases in my opinion. I should point out that my opinions are essentially neutral on this issue, I'm against the lack of choice, blandness and uniformity that 'shopping centres' bring to city centres, but I'm also aware that other people like them. Regular readers of this blog will probably be aware that I view property developers as lower than cockroaches, and just as hard to extinguish.

Anyway, the main opposition group seems to be a group of loons calling themselves 'The Knights of St Edmund', shortly before christmas they had a candle lit procession (in chainmail!) through the town before invoking the curse of St Edmund on the property developers, and it would appear, the christmas decorations. Quite apart from raising uncomfortable comparisons with the KKK and Mississippi Burning, they seem to have taken on board another cultural reference with their campaign slogan; 'Local shops for local people'. I commend you to their site; http://www.knightsofsaintedmund.com/notes.html

A couple of years ago, my local council, seeking public approval for yet another shopping centre (we already have two), sent out a questionnaire in a pretence of consultation, amongst the many gems contained within, was the question; would you like Ealing to be more like Hounslow (downmarket) or like Chiswick (upmarket), the concept of trying to create an individual identity for the place having, it would seem, passed them by. Although, historically, Ealing has always been a bit bland, suffering from being the first place where you changed your horses on your way to Bristol. It has always been a good place to go somewhere else from, not an ideal premise from which to start, and a concept that the council has embraced whole-heartedly; why bother to have any arts provision when there's plenty in the adjoining boroughs for example. We are going to have a new shopping centre behind the town hall, all four possible options have been presented for our delight. and all are the sort of stockbrick crimes against architecture that we should be unsurprised to be offered, how you make a choice in those circumstances is beyond me.

By way of a post-script, I spent most of yesterday in a freezing warehouse in Bow cleaning mud off the cables, don't let anybody fool you into thinking that this is a glamorous life, it has its positive side I grant you,but there are some very big negatives too, maybe I ought to blog something about them, but as this is meant to entertain, maybe I won't.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:35:00 pm, Blogger Christina S said...

Oh bum! I was going to suggest we met for a coffee - or half a real ale ;-) before you finished with Bury, but I see I'm too late.

As far as the knights'posters go, what did you make of the other one on that link, the one with all the skeletons in graves? I just don't get it. The image is of all the dead abbots of the Abbey of St Edmund, and the slogan is: "There's more to life than shopping." To me, that says: Look at these poor beggars, they shopped till they dropped.

Or on the other hand, it could be saying: There's more to life than shopping and this is what it is, dead abbots in graves. (And lets not build a shopping centre in case things get too lively in our town, the cemetery).

I've been meaning to ask someone, but I haven't seen one of these posters displayed in anyone's window yet. Funny that.

Anyway, I'm sorry your Bury blogging has come to and end. But do come back and see the town sometime in the sun.

:-) Ruby

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 12:16:00 am, Blogger Lampy said...

Have no fear, I'll be back, I'm designing a show with the artistic director of the Theatre Royal in March (in Wakefield), and I expect I'll be back in Suffolk soon enough.

I want to have a drink in the microscopically tiny pub, there's one in Hoxton where you have to breathe in every time the door opens, but this one is even smaller.

Coffee or beer, either sounds good to me, having spent a day cleaning mud off cables and I left over 800m of cable behind!

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 11:18:00 am, Blogger Christina S said...

Cool, let me know when you're back.

I also want to visit the microscopically tiny pub. Despite having lived in BSE for nearly 9 yrs I've never been in. This is partly because there never looks like there's room, and partly because there's nowhere to escape to if you don't hit it off with your fellow patrons. Peter Moore (writer of Swahili for the Broken Hearted, among other books) had an experience there which sums up my worst fears:
http://www.petermoore.net/blog/wordpress/?p=47

But a visit there is something that has to be done, one's Bury St Edmunds CV is hardly complete without it.

Take care :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home