Thursday, November 24, 2005

you couldn't make it up...

Funny old day, started with me skidding on an oily concrete bit of the M25, bouncing off the armco, and ending up facing the on-coming traffic in the fast lane. Strangely little damage to the car (dented wing, smashed headlight), and after a moment or two's deep breathing on the hard shoulder, I continued on my way.

The boring logistical part of my project in Bury St Edmunds is almost over; another day of cutting cable, wiring plugs and light fittings was proceeding as normal when my liaison at the theatre came looking for me;
"You might want to sit down," she said.
"I am sitting down," I replied.
"You know that big beech tree that is the first thing the audience see when they turn the corner?"
"The eighty foot tall one, central image in my vista, that one?"
"Yep, the council have decided to cut it down."
"What now?"
"No, they're going to wait until rehearsals have started in the tent, and then they'll do it. There's a tree man coming out to the site to look at it. Apparently they meant to cut it down three weeks ago, but forgot."
"Is this the tree that has a lopping order on it?"
"Yes, but it's cheaper to cut it down."

I await developments with interest!

So far on this project, the tent isn't where it was planned to be, the toilets are in a much more intrusive place,and I have about a quarter of the power that I was offered at the beginning of the proceedings. It gives me great consolation that the show fit-up is going really badly too!

Further developments; it seems that the beech tree has had a reprieve, but they've decided to reduce another one, needless to say this was my second biggest target, and may now be reduced to a stump. It's all go in Suffolk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home