Friday, November 18, 2005

life's a beach

My soundscape for Robinson Crusoe develops apace, I now have the beginning, and the beginning of the end, and thanks to the kind intervention of my friend at the BBC I have some material to complete that. I finally cracked the opening sequence, a collage of sounds representing contemporary Bury St Edmunds, by using the voices of the children I was doing the workshop with to link between events. It's not what I had planned to do, but I'm curiously satisfied with it, and about 70% of the material was actually gathered in Bury St Edmunds.

Today I'm tackling the middle, the voyage, probably the most complex, but conversely the most mapped out. I'm lacking a suitably salty sea-dog voice to shout 'all aboard', so for the moment it will have to be me rather apologetically saying 'tickets please' or some such. I'm not very keen to put myself forward as a voice artist, especially when there are so many people clamouring to take on that role. Anyway, the preternaturally sharp of hearing may detect my Hitchcock moments, as a pair of squeaky shoes pounding the mean streets of Bury St Edmunds, and buying bananas in the market.

My other aquisition last night was an item that has been a long time coming, only inefficiency on my part I hasten to add. In what could be considered a Dorian Gray episode, my friend at the BBC has unearthed and copied a tape of my school choir performing on 'Songs of Praise' in the mid-1970's, when I was to all intents and purposes an angelic choir-boy. Somehow I quite like the idea of collecting up my inadvertant television appearances, I am neither ashamed or embarrassed by them, just mildly curious.

So much of the work I do is completely ephemeral, lighting is about the moment, photography doesn't represent more than a tiny slice of the experience, and can't hope to represent the subjective feelings of the witness. So, it's quite interesting to recover stuff that I had always thought was lost in the ether. It begs the question, of course, why on earth did the BBC keep this stuff, when they merrily deleted or recorded over hundreds of programs that had a much wider appeal?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home