Monday, November 21, 2005

let me through...

Today I started my fit-up for the show in Bury St Edmunds, mostly this consisted of me driving about London collecting various bits and pieces, and then heading up the M11 to the excessively fog-bound market town.

I guess I was a little premature, as there isn't any electricity on site yet, and the access is still a morass of churned up mud. Also, my secure shed, which has been on my list since the first production meeting, is not now being delivered until Wednesday, along with the toilet blocks. Isn't it a thrill to see the naked workings of a logistical nightmare!

As I trundled along the marylebone high road this morning,my attention was caught by a middle-aged man, pedalling a bike furiously along the bus lane, his high visibility jacket flapping in the slipstream, and at the same time proclaiming his profession for all the world to see. Now, I'm used to the kind of professionals who wear these fashionable garments having their job title on their backs; paramedics, banksmen and the worthy gentlemen who guide your truck onto a ferry all have their place, and in an emergency it is undeniably useful to know who is who. I remain puzzled, however, as to the sort of emergency that might cause this undoubtedly worthy gentleman to leap from his bike, and pressing through the anxious throng gathered at the roadside disaster, utter the words; 'let me through, I'm a Piano tuner'. He was quite near the Royal Academy of Music, perhaps there'd been a twin Bechstein pile-up, doesn't bear thinking about really.

Oh well, back up the road tomorrow, and a jolly day of wiring up things. They've given us a tractor to transport stuff around the site on, originally it was going to be a little one, but the farmer broke it, so he's loaned us a great big one instead. I can see that this fit-up may cease to lose its charm quite soon, tomorrow I think I'd better buy some wellies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home