Sunday, May 19, 2013

Buzz, buzz.

Another one of those 'I was sitting on the loo' posts I'm afraid; my toilet is situated in a sort of shingled extension rather awkwardly nailed onto the upper story of my little granite farmhouse, and a few days ago I was less than happy to hear the sort of furtive rustling behind the plasterboard that usually heralds the arrival of some meeces. Up to now I had assumed that my small army of permanently hungry felines would  have taken care of that, and indeed I think I was right, because sitting out one night watching the sun set over the cow byre/come slurry pit (there's been a lot of rain), I noticed the bats were back, and I also noticed that my loyal and hungry audience were, to a cat, staring fixedly above my head. A shift of position, and a moments patience, and I saw that the bats were returning to a roost in the corner of my bathroom. Scrabbling and squeaking explained then.
I've been away for a few days at the day job, but when I returned in the wee hours this morning, I noticed that the squeaky noises had morphed into a more mellow hum, observation has revealed that my bat colony is now co-habiting with a bumble bee nest, it's getting kinda crowded in the wall behind my bog, I do hope nothing else moves in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home