Saturday, February 11, 2006

nature notes
















One of the great pleasures of my bed, apart from comfort and warmth, of course is that it is more or less level with the ground outside my window. I sleep without drawing the blind down, so when I wake, I can see straight down the garden, or more commonly up into the air. This morning when I awoke I could see something green bouncing energetically about on the grass, after I had crawled out of bed and out my contact lenses in, it was still there. I had though it might be a parakeet, but it is so uncharacteristic for them to be on the ground, and the way it was moving was all wrong, more like a crow or a magpie.

It obligingly came closer, and it immediately became clear that it was a green woodpecker, and it was having a good old root in the lawn in search of worms and such like. I've seen them in Richmond Park before now, but never in my back garden. A very handsome bird, already in its breeding plumage, and looking for love I guess. There was no sign of another one, unfortunately.

On another note, the primroses are starting to flower in the grass, and there are a few snowdrops out as well, not much else to report otherwise, it's still cold here.

Update, the woodpecker is still hanging around, it obviously like whatever it's finding in the grass, unfortunately I scared it away when I went out to cut some wood (how ruritanian is that).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home