Friday, January 27, 2006

selling, gambling and whinging

Portmanteau blog today, I thought I'd have a moan about people selling you things first off. Why do people insist on selling you things, when you are trying to buy them anyway? It drives me nuts. My favourite example was in the oxfam shop in Banchory (Aberdeenshire) about 15 years ago, I was visiting with my then partner in order to attend a wedding, we had a bit of time to kill and consequently went through the charity shops. The only object of any use I could find in the shops was a small teak chopping board priced at 50p, and I decided to buy it.

Big mistake, as I approached the till, the lady of uncertain age snatched it from my hands and asked; 'will you be buying this then?' I answered in the affirmative, and she then called her colleague from the back office; 'Morag, this gentleman is buying the chopping board, lovely piece of timber that.'
Morag joined the chorus of approval, 'Aye, you can't beat a nice piece of wood.'
This inane chorus went on for several minutes, as the virtue of the chopping board was extolled in ever more extreme terms, my girlfriend, in the meantime was practically on the floor with giggles. I felt quite embarrassed to be buying it in the end.

This weeks job has been a strange one, we were lighting a 'fire and ice' themed party in a weird gentlemans club (we think) opposite the Natural History museum. The house itself was a six story georgian terrace, and the club occcupied three floors, we couldn't really get a handle on what the party was about, although it turned out that it was connected in some way with a big online gambling exhibition currently running at Earls Court. It all seemed a bit strange when we were setting up, with teams of brazilians nailing and stretching white lycra all over the place, and french artists installing projectors and weather balloons in the corridors. It looked fantastic, and you could see it from the top of Exhibition Road. We managed to blow a circuit breaker, while setting up in the garden area, and no-one from the venue knew how to find it, so I'm afraid there's a freezer full of something and an ice-cream fridge that are probably defrosted by now. We were told not to worry about it, so we didn't, someone will get a nasty surprise in a couple of months when they start to use the garden again, I fear.

Pics might follow, if anybody managed to take any.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home