Sunday, January 22, 2006

the youth of today

I was speaking to one of my work colleagues last night, and making arrangements to go and do some more clearing at our stores. As my car is having a hip transplant at the moment he was proposing to pick me up on the way back from his parental home in Bournemouth.
'What time?' he asked chirpily.
'Never 'til after The Archers omnibus on a sunday,' I replied.
'What's The Archers?' he asked.

For the benefit of overseas readers, The Archers (an everyday story of country folk) has been running on Radio 4 since the beginning of time, it's the longest running radio soap ever and a peculiar addiction. Serious afficionados insist that the characters and places are real. I am not that bad, but slowly surfacing on a sunday morning whilst people are having traumas about badgers and mastitis is a pleasure that I don't give up easily.

Some people just don't know what they're missing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/index.shtml

2 Comments:

At Sunday, January 22, 2006 9:53:00 pm, Blogger Nick said...

Ah, memories, memories - whatever happened to Jacqui Woodstock, Scarlet Woman of Ambridge??

 
At Friday, January 27, 2006 6:10:00 pm, Blogger Lampy said...

He further astounded me on Wednesday, when I commented that it was Burns Night; 'what's that?' he asked. I suppose that you don't need to know about Burns in Bournemouth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home