Friday, January 13, 2006

Whither Tenerife?

Since November I've been booked onto a show in Tenerife at the end of this month. Since November, the details of the job have been nebulous to say the least, and only two factors have remained constant: the client (a large production and logistics company for whom I work quite regularly) and the end client (which is a large and prestigious german car maker).

The basic premise is that we are going out to Tenerife to set up a party and concert for a bunch of journos and assorted industry people who are en-route to Rhyadh, Qatar or somewhere similar to witness the launch of the new QWERTY 2.4 turbo (I made that up, someone did tell me what the car was but I forgot instantly). Theory being that a plane load of assorted social misfits with free booze would arrive in the Middle East in no fit state to admire the new motor, so they'll stop off for a couple of days in Tenerife in a 5 star Hotel and recover from the effects of the flight, before heading off to the (presumably) alcohol free delights.

We will be there waiting for them, with a glittering night's entertainment in a lovely venue, the gardens all lit up and smiling faces everywhere. This is where it starts to unravel slightly, the best entertainment that the island was able to offer was a Tina Turner looky-likey, next I heard that we were to be lighting Rick Astley (who is out on a come-back tour somewhere near you), somehow I felt that this was unlikely to fulfill the feelgood criteria. Last year we lit Will Young in Morocco, and that wasn't exactly top dollar. Latest news is that we are presenting Lemar, I don't have the faintest idea who he is, beyond his origins, but at least he has a future.

The other thing, of course is that we are taking about five crew out, and still don't know what we are doing there, the latest version of the itinerary has me flying out on the Thursday with three others, day off on Friday, do the gig on Saturday and fly back on Sunday, it's all very confusing really. If I ever find out what I'm up to, I'll be sure to let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home