Wednesday, January 18, 2006

toasty jacket


About five or six years ago I was bought a jacket for my birthday, it was a very nice warm jacket made of a wool/cashmere mix, and is the only tartan jacket that I have ever owned. It was in Black Watch, which is the tartan I actively like (despite not being entitled to wear it). The tartan illustrated purports to be my clan tartan (according to http://www.houseoftartan.co.uk/ ) all I can think of to say is yuck, although it's quite an entertaining site if it's raining outside, or the cat has already been wormed.

This was the year of jacket catastrophes for me, I seemed to lose them all too frequently, in this case I was doing a show in Barcelona at about this time of year, and it was the last vaguely respectable piece of clothing that I had left despite being rather too warm. We did the show, another pharmaceutical conference, and in my 1.5 hours off out of eight days, I managed to visit the Sagrada Famiglia. On my return to this country, I managed to leave it, and my passport in the company car. I was swiftly re-united with my passport, but for some reason the production manager didn't bring me back my jacket.

It is necessary to understand that you don't necessarily know who you are going to be working with on a show, especially in the other disciplines, so every now and again I have bumped into this particular production manager, and we have joked about it. He took quite a liking to it, and it has been seen at, amongst other things 'The Tweenies' stage show and the last 'Coldplay' tour. However, we have not knowingly been on a show together until today, (back at the home of blubena, tomorrow: a team building african drumming workshop run by a man called Brian from Swindon), when he told me he had my jacket in his car, I haven't got it yet, but maybe tomorrow...

This production manager, incidentally, was unwise enough to declare his love for a girl called Sue T by having her name tattooed in a heart on his arm, unfortunately the lack of expertise on the part of the tattooist means that we are constantly being taken to one side by bewildered clients and asked 'why does he have suet tattooed on his arm? We've tried blaming it on a boarding school education.

Postscript; I have my jacket back, it needs a wash and it's very crumpled, but it's the first time I've walked out of a gig with more coats than I went in with. Of course, he went off with it after the gig, but he also took the laptop with the CAD drawings for tenerife on it, which have to be drawn up and ready by monday, so he had to come back and remembered to bring the jacket as well. I also ended up with a miscellany of discarded percussion instruments (the conference delegates had them on all their tables), so I think I did quite well, all in all. The african drum workshop was excruciating, but you knew that in your hearts already, the combination of pissed up rhythmically challenged ribena sales persons and ethnic percussion is one that only a sadist could have dreamed up. Still, they seemed to enjoy themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home