Monday, October 31, 2005

improbable shows

Tomorrow I am going to put a small lighting and sound rig up in Borough Market. This, apparently, is for the worlds largest 'pass the parcel' game.

I am lost for words, the silly season has started early it would appear.

This is, of course, for 'charidy' and I suppose it is to be encouraged, better than sitting in vats of cold baked beans or dressing up as a chicken, and we haven't even begun to approach the 'Children in need' appeal yet.

I'll report on the hysterical jollity of it all once it's done and dusted.

Update:

Well, what a fun time we all had; in a cold and slimy portion of Borough Market, 150 punters wrestled with a six foot ball of paper to the accompaniment of a 'pick-up' jazz band. Somehow, their unbeatable formula didn't quite make it; maybe the cause was the arctic winds whistling through the empty market, the trains clattering overhead in and out of London Bridge Station or the pervasive dampness as rain leaked through the ill-maintained roof, but somehow we only attracted a quarter of the numbers expected.

I think they raised quite a lot of money, nothing like what they expected/hoped for. The quality of the stuff available for auction was high; original artworks by Peter Blake, Quentin Blake and Patrick Caulfield, some items fetching £1000.00. Bizarrely, among the items was Geoff Hursts' football shirt in which he scored three of the goals in Englands' world cup win in 1966, I can't help feeling that they would have got more for it if they'd put it on eBay, or in a sports memorabilia auction, it fetched £650.00 by the way.

When I was in California in february this year, I met a man who, as an antidote to his wifes' art collecting passion (I was working on an Art exhibition), had decided to set up his own museum of sporting memorabilia, he had a medium size warehouse, and about 25000 exhibits. Strangely weak on cricket, I felt, but who am I to judge.

2 Comments:

At Monday, October 31, 2005 9:49:00 pm, Blogger Nick said...

As a tragic veteran of 'the world's biggest game of musical chairs' (John Noakes was involved) I can only advise you - Just Say No.

 
At Monday, October 31, 2005 11:15:00 pm, Blogger Lampy said...

at least I am being paid!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home