Wednesday, October 26, 2005

ah, sweet mystery of life...

I've been having a head-scratching problem with the menu at my local pub, their spelling has always been a tad wayward; their Sunday Carvary is a local legend.

They have recently proudly revealed their Christmas menu, which is without blame, there are not many market variables for the spelling of 'sprouts', they steer well clear of those well known danger zones: brockley, pommygranit's, obo's (sense of despair there I fancy), custered apples and too, too, many others. Just for now, let's not investigate the wandering apostrophe, I am far too guilty of punctuation crimes to be able to make fun of the sins of others.

No, the item that has been creating mystification in all of us is in the November menu, unveiled shortly after the Christmas menu, there is a whole section devoted to 'our new pennine specials', now I know the chef is a geordie, but there's no stottie cakes or chips here, it's all 'steak with a dijonaise sauce' (a brave attempt) and 'red pepper and cheese melt'.

During a short pee break I had a moment of huge excitement, when it suddenly occurred to me that with Microsofts malign influence a couple of extra letters might have crept into 'penne' and they were offering an innovative new pasta bowl as a cheap but nourishing snack.

When I rejoined my companion, I offered my spell-checker theory as a possible explanation, and saw the light dawn on his face (be aware he works in the city); "got it", he said, "it's Panini."

I cannot fault this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home