Wednesday, May 01, 2019

young visiters...

There's a vixen in my mothers garden who is burdened with five cubs, she brings them out onto the grass every now and again to have a bit of a play. Her patience doesn't last very long, and she's looking a bit frayed, interesting that the colouration of the urban fox seems to be drifting away from the bright colouration seen more often in the country and towards a sort of muddy brown.





Apologies, I have a video, but for some reason it won't  upload, I only had my phone with me when they appeared.

Update: my researches indicated that there was a 20% mortality rate among fox cubs, and this has certainly been borne out by my discovery of a sad little corpse in the back garden. It had been mutilated, and one of its legs eaten. I couldn't determine the cause of death, although its neck was unbroken, I'm guessing that a dog fox must have been passing through, or one of last years cubs seized an opportunity to even up the odds a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home