Sunday, March 03, 2019

Index of social inventions #3

I may have already mentioned this before, it is not mine, and I claim no credit for it. I was working at the Avignon festival a few years back, and as with any arts festival of any size, the place was coming down with posters, fliers, exhibitionists of all flavours and so on. The idea which caught my attention was very simple, as the best often are. Rather than producing expensive fliers, one theatre company (doing Ubu Roi, at least one production of which is compulsory at all French arts festivals) had instead had their production details printed onto plain brown paper bags. They hadn't taken the, to me, logical step of inserting free packs of paper bags into all the local boulangeries, fruit sellers etc, but were still handing them out as if they were fliers. Thus when you bought your nectarines or whatever, you would be carrying away an unsolicited advert for a show. The shopkeeper gets free wrapping, and you get your advertising distributed for free. No-one loses, as far as I can see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home