Wednesday, August 01, 2007

nature notes #257

As I stood by the lake this morning, having lost the dog toy in a tree yet again, my attention was caught by a fluttering among the trees on the far side of the water. As it was bright sunshine and mid-morning, I was quite surprised to realise that this was a medium sized bat, methodically hoovering up the insects which are abundant in the warm weather. Somehow I had always made the assumption that bats only hunt in the dusk, this has always been the time when I have seen them before. My researches lead me to the conclusion that it was probably a Daubentons bat, as it was quite large, and of the eight species recorded in Scotland, this is the one that most commonly lives near and feeds over water. I wasn't really close enough to see its ears or nose, which are the most accurate ways of identifying a species apparently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home