Monday, July 31, 2006

jam today

The Nottingham correspondent and I (although I must confess it was mostly her, I was on brick related duties), picked the gooseberries and made jam yesterday. We ended up with more than a kilo and a half of gooseberries, consequently about 3 kg of jam. More jam than I can really cope with, I've been spooning it into pots and tubs and giving it away all over the place, if the postman didn't just throw my letters at the door these days, he might have had a pot pressed into his hand.

My Oullins Golden Gage tree is groaning with fruit, as I have previously described, this is only the second year it has borne fruit, last year it had two plums, this year, perhaps 20kg. I'm not at all convinced that I could cope with that much jam, perhaps it is just as well that they are such a good eating plum, as I don't think I'll have any trouble giving away delicious golden plums. The Victoria is also so heavily laden that its branches are already bending over, and it's at least a month before they'll be ripe. One bonus of the gage having taken so long to fruit is that the branches are quite strong, and able to bear the weight of all the fruit with very little distress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home