Friday, February 17, 2006

Procrastination.

I have a show going into Battersea Arts Centre tomorrow morning, part of a try-out weekend for new theatre pieces. I've been to rehearsals, the script is finalised and the design is clear and crystal in my mind. So why is it that I can't quite force myself to get the plan and the paperwork finished? I've had this before (I call it Lighters Block, sorry), back in the days when I used to draw my plans on huge sheets of paper, the first pencil mark was sometimes the most difficult to do. I once stared at a sheet of A0 for ten days without touching it, it was only until my friend the psychologist came round and sat on my bed talking to me about nothing in particular that I was sufficiently distracted to get on with the drawing.

These days a designer is expected to produce reams of paperwork, not just a plan, but elevations, sections and housekeeping (colour cutting lists, lantern lists, flying weights and so on). Some directors even expect a simulation of the images, all this can be done, but takes time and ultimately takes you away from the creative process (which is why even the cheapest lighting designer will often employ an assistant).

In the case of 'Taikonaut', tomorrows exercise, I have finished the plan, and just need to tidy up the paperwork before the fit-up. This is a try-out and I don't see why it shouldn't be the same for me.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, February 19, 2006 11:24:00 pm, Blogger Christina S said...

Hope your lighters block cleared up.

"colour cutting lists, lantern lists, flying weights and so on"

Oh! This evoked some very interesting mental imagery. Although the last bit was scary - my husband's dumbells from Argos with wings on.

What are flying weights?

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 12:11:00 am, Blogger Lampy said...

In this particular case, literally the weight of all the lanterns, cables etc that are rigged on each bar, also, can refer to the cast iron weights which are used in a counterweight flying system to counterbalance the weight added to a fly bar (lighting bar or bar with a cloth or curtain rigged on it) by rigging something on it.

The show went well, there's plenty of work to be done to it, but as a 'work in progress' it was quite polished and looked stylish at least.

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 11:33:00 pm, Blogger Christina S said...

Thanks for clearing that one up! Show sounds interesting - might go have a see if it comes to Ipswich.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home