Wednesday, September 28, 2005

tedium

Apologies for non-blogging activity, but there has been very little happening in this part of London since my last effort. As I have mentioned before, this is the beginning of the freelancers' season; somewhere out there unfortunate PA's are being compelled to investigate the options for the christmas party/compulsory team building exercise/product sales review/brainstorming session and like a complacent shark hovering under the surface the events and logistics companies are waiting for them.

For a poignant tale of the other end of the stick please refer to http://www.greenfairy.com/ my sympathy to the author, she got out just in time.

So, for the future; I have no idea what is coming up, in many cases I don't even find out where a gig is until I am on my way, still less who I am doing it for or what it is about. In the meantime I am engaged in that most vital and tedious of tasks, trying to persuade people to pay up, it's very important as a freelancer to get your invoices out quickly and accurately. For example, I'm still negotiating with the main contractor for the fashion show, I was told I would be paid somewhere around my normal daily rate, it has taken me about a week to get his address,and we have still not agreed a price, even when I get the invoice off, it is unlikely that I will be paid within the twenty-eight day period stipulated.

Oh well, any moment now the 'phone will ring and some pea-brained project will be handed (read:dumped) on to me, someone else will have done the recce, not taken any notes, or if they have I won't get them until two days after the gig. I'll prep the equipment in good time, and turn up to load, only to discover that half of it will have been diverted onto another show, and I am left with a pile of filthy untested crap, and somehow I'll end up driving three times across london to collect/deliver some vital component. It's a glamorous life...

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home