Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tiny Rebellions

Whilst sitting in the gentle spring sunshine on South Ealing tube station, waiting for the non-arrival of my train to Heathrow, I was pondering the somewhat excessive and frequently silly security measures at the airport. After mentally congratulating myself for having put on Velcro fastening shoes I then wondered how embarrassing my socks were going to be, upon inspection, the answer was ‘fairly’, although I was wearing the eminently practical and comfortable Baxters’ bonny socks (see link), one was turquoise and the other bright pink.

Those who know me may recall that I do always wear odd socks, this started as a small rebellion when I was still at school, and I haven’t wavered once since, it depressed me slightly to realise that next year will be the thirtieth anniversary of my tiny revolt. This has only once caused comment, when I was called as a prosecution witness to a car accident, and the defence lawyer tried to discredit my observational ability on the grounds that I had failed to notice that I was wearing odd socks. Needless to say, I was able to set the record straight, and tell the magistrates what colour (purple and green), and on which feet each sock was, without looking down. I did have to put my feet up on the witness box to prove it! Despite all this effort, he got off.

Finally, whilst travelling through London the other day, I was somewhat startled to discover that the Flora London Marathon has an official beer, Fullers London Pride no less. Can anyone tell me why? Fullers has been my local beer for years, and I have been witness, man and boy, to its hallucinogenic charms, what it can’t reasonably claim, apart from being perfectly wholesome (indeed it is very good beer!), is any sort of health and fitness giving properties. A couple of pints before the London Marathon, and they’ll all be wanting a little snooze in the sunshine, rather than slogging their guts out for 26 miles. Oh well, it’s all marketing I suppose.

http://hfweb.co.uk/bonnysocks/products.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home