Monday, September 11, 2006

uber geeks

Tomorrow I am going to that haven for the techy, and the would be techy; the PLASA show at Earls Court (PLASA is the professional lighting and sound association). I see it as something of a necessary evil, whilst the place is overrun with pasty faced spotty geeks with ponytails and pubic beards, their hips clanking with enormous bunches of keys, I do get to meet a lot of genuine colleagues, and most years I pick up some work.

I am also going to a two hour seminar on a new lighting board, I made the mistake of telling someone I thought it looked very pretty, and now I have to spend two hours in a hotel room with an intense american. Generally speaking, when I play with a new board I manage to crash it with in about 10 minutes, my record is finding six software bugs in about five minutes. This is not, I hasten to add because I am some sort of computer maestro, but rather that if I don't quite know how to do something, I tend to blunder about trying different things rather than look up the instructions (old techy saying: if all else fails, read the manual).

Anyway, if anything mildly entertaining occurs at this festival of flashing lights and muted sound, I'll report back tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home