Friday, June 03, 2005

Alt.Birds

Curious afternoon, I was wandering about aimlessly in the garden, and was suddenly struck by the number of small birds that were completely ignoring me.

I'm used to the robins, but today I was also invisible (or a matter of complete indifference) to wrens, blackbirds, blue tits, magpies and, quite unusually, a lesser spotted woodpecker. The latter has been seen before, and is just passing through I suspect. There is a fine selection of rotting logs, on which I have seen it drumming in the past.

Digressing slightly, I knocked over a stump of an ex-buddleia last week, not realising how far gone it was, and uncovered a twitching collection of blue-white stag beetle larvae. These look not unlike scampi (pre-breadcrumb), or very large (about 2 ins) fat white caterpillars. Sadly, because I like stag beetles, I suspect that I finished them off. I covered them over with some bits of wood and a slate, but I think they need the controlled humidy that burrowing in rotting timber gives to them. Oh well, hopefully something had a good meal.

We had a short but very violent rain/thunder storm this afternoon, I wonder if that's why the birds were all being so pre-occupied. Answers on a postcard please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home