Friday, June 03, 2005

Top Banana

The postman summoned me from my bed at some ghastly hour this morning, and handed me a package containing my new banana plant.

Musella Lasiocarpa, (AKA; the himalayan banana, golden lotus banana, chinese yellow banana), originates in the Yunan province of China. It's quite a small plant as they go, growing to 4-6 feet in height. It carries a single yellow flower which can stay on the plant for more than six months. It's monocarpic, and dies after setting fruit, leaving a collection of offsets to grow on.

What started me off on this plant, I suppose, is that it is hardy down to -10 (although opinions vary).

There is something attractive, and admittedly barking, about growing bananas in london. I was doing a show in the Great Conservatory at Syon Park last year, and was very impressed by their Musa Basjoo, which, despite the predations of drunken wedding guests had, in one year, grown to an impressive size. Since then I've attempted growing from seed, with negative results to date, although most authorities advise keeping your sad little pots for up to two years.

The thing about growers of tropical plants is that they seem as a general rule to be enthusiastic and slightly dotty. The grower from whom I bought my M.Lasiocarpa (and some purple banana seed), insists on giving me regular weather reports from belgium (where she is located). Naturally I respond with local growing conditions, well you would wouldn't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home