Thursday, June 02, 2005

Lost and found

This is something of a discovery, I've been hunting for my lost blog for a week now. I suspect that my increasingly bad habit of not noting down details of names, logins etc is to blame.

On the subject of parakeets, I went to Kew Gardens last weekend to see the Chihuly glass sculptures. In some cases these epic constructions are hideous, in others strangely beautiful. They have been sited all over, but the most effective (in my opinion), are in the greenhouses, where weird contorted forms lurk in the undergrowth, which is in itself pretty weird. Martha, the three year old daughter of my companions, kept asking where the monsters were hiding. 'All around you' was the only possible answer, and seemed to satisfy her.
Kew is very near to the nature reserve at Barnes where the largest colony of ring-necked parakeets live, and you can hear them shrieking all the time as you wander about. For a bright green bird, they are surprisingly hard to spot, and they fly quite high. Once you've identified them, however, you'll see and hear them all over London. Apparently there are about 10.000 in London, no wonder there are no sparrows any more.

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/chihuly/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/sevenwonders/london/parakeets/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home