Monday, April 14, 2008

new tree

Last one from Colombia for the moment; one of the things I found strange about Bogota was that there was very little visible life, apart, of course from the hordes of humans. There were very few birds or insects, I didn't even see any rats.

On the other hand, situated as we were, at the end of the Andes (there's a joke struggling to get out there), there were a great many trees. Regular visitors to this blog may recall that I have a fondness for the genus Araucaria (most commonly represented in the UK by the Monkey Puzzle), and I was delighted to discover a variety new to me. Unfortunately it was the wrong season to collect seeds, and I was unable to identify it (kind and more knowledgeable readers might care to comment and inform us all).
























A little googling and wikipedia search reveals that the tree is most likely to be Araucaria Angustifolia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_angustifolia) also known as the Parana Pine, so there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home