Sunday, March 09, 2008

the day war broke out, part 3

It's all over, peace has broken out again. Hugo Chavez has been seen on TV shaking hands with the Colombian president (who is also elected, but more self-effacing, so I can't remember his name). Overnight the teeny soldiers who thronged the foyer of our hotel have gone, there are still a few outside, but things have really quietened down.

I did have a bizarre encounter: we've become used to a myriad of different uniforms, and many guns, which mostly look dull, utilitarian and rather depressingly funtional. On the day in question, however, my colleague and I were rather disconcerted to find ourselves travelling in a lift with a very chic soldier, sporting a very highly polished and chromed pump action shotgun. I didn't feel a strong urge to question him, somehow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home