Sunday, August 14, 2005

useful terms

I was just going through some old production notes from my last opera tour, and came across a couple of delightful descriptive terms that I had never previously heard used.

These came from our company manager, who is pure roedean.

The first one she came out with was 'bingo wings' these are the loose flaps of skin as seen on the upper arms of ladies of a certain vintage, much in evidence when calling 'House!' and waving the arms about I guess.
I have only ever played bingo once, and that was at 2.00 a.m. in Blackpool, and what with a couple of small beers and a lavender suited (and wigged) Elvis impersonator I was unable to give the game my full attention.

The second term is 'pavement oysters' this describes the gobbets of phlegm that can be seen decorating the streets, very common in Glasgow, where a sizeable proportion of the population still smokes.

I don't know where she got these from, certainly not from Glasgow, I'm still trying to work them into my writing, but they are a bit too specific.
I'll give it some more thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home